Friday, July 01, 2005

Cheeseburger for Breakfast

Yea! I think Zoe is finally on her way to being completely potty trained! I began to notice a trend that when she was in the bathtub or in her swimming suit (which I began to put on her without a diaper) she would ask to use the potty. However, as long as she had diapers or training pants on, she never asked. So one day when I didn't have to leave the house for anything, I decided to let her run around naked all day and see if she consistently used the potty. Yep! Not a single accident, and she was pleased as punch with herself. The following day, even though she had a diaper on, she asked to use the potty every time and not a single wet diaper. So, aside from nap time and bedtime, when I do diaper her, she is using the potty full time. I have moved her into regular big girl underpants and she's been using the potty for 5 days now without any accidents. She likes to sit on the potty and say "Make it yellow!" This is not something I taught her, and Grandma H swears she didn't either, so I guess Zoe just came up with that one on her own. She is funny like that.

Zoe has a new slide and swing for her birthday. I picked it up from someone in our neighborhood who advertised it on their front lawn. Now she has her very own slide and is pretty excited about it. I will post pictures in the near future. The night we picked it up and put it together for her, she was absolutely beside herself dying to climb on the slide whether we had it assembled or not. It was after 7:30 pm by the time she could get on it to play. The next morning she woke up and one of the first words she uttered was "Slide!" I suggested breakfast first, but she had a one track mind shrieking, "Slide! Slide!" relentlessly. So out we went...barely 8:00 in the morning...to get started on the slide. Forty five minutes later she was ready for breakfast. The thing is, when Zoe wants something, she is sure about what she wants and she wants it NOW! When I asked her what she wanted for breakfast, she insisted she wanted cheeseburger and would not consider any other options. I figured there were worse things than cheeseburger for breakfast, so Zoe got cheeseburger and applesauce for breakfast. We pretty much had an entire day like that, with Zoe getting a head start on practicing being two years old.

I tried hard to pick my battles all day or else we would be head to head over everything. I was about at the end of my rope when we went out to play on her slide again just before lunch and I started to engage in a battle with her about not spraying her new slide with the garden hose. I mainly just didn't want her getting her clothes all wet. Then I figured, oh well, a little water is less of a headache to deal with than a power struggle with an almost-two-year-old. So I let her spray it down. Then she wanted to slide down it. I had already resolved that I would have a wet child to deal with by the time we went inside, so I let her do her thing. I didn't consider that a wet slide would mean a very SLICK slide. Down she went, faster than lightening and catapulted herself a good 5 feet into the middle of the yard before landing squarely on her butt. Fortunately she was not hurt, but we were both quite surprised, and she was crying and upset. Please note I had been trying to convince for 20 minutes before this whole incident that it was time to go inside for lunch, and she would have nothing to do with. Now, dripping wet, crying over her breakneck trip down the slide, and in need of a good cleanup before we could do anything else, she decides she wants lunch. NOW!

I am hoping that this is all a short lived stage in Zoe's life, but I fearfully expect that this is just the beginning of something that will probably not run its course quickly enough.

No comments: