Friday, June 15, 2007

On This Day Meme

Tagged again, by Jesse at For the Love of Peas and Monkeys. I learned a few things with this meme. The rules are to go to Wikipedia and type in your birthday (only the month and day) and then note 3 events, 2 births, 1 holiday, and then tag 5 more friends.

Here's what I came up with for my birthday, January 26th.

Three events:
(My personal favorite) 2004 - A whale explodes in the town of Tainan, Taiwan. A build-up of gas in the decomposing Sperm whale is suspected of causing the explosion.

1837 - Michigan is admitted as the 26th U.S. state.

2006 - Western Union discontinues use of its telegram service.

Two births:
1925 - Paul Newman, American actor

1955 - Eddie Van Halen, Dutch musician

One holiday:
India - Republic Day - One of only three state holidays in India, celebrated with pomp and a military parade in New Delhi.

I'm only going to tag 4 blogs this time though: Mrs. Flinger, In Search of Walden, Maternal Mirth, Life Turned Upside Down

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tag! Your timing is since today is my birthday. I can't post it today because I have a very special post (to me anyway) about my daughters birthday, which was actually almost on mine! I'll have it up this weekend.

Maternal Mirth said...

July 24th

3 Events
1487 - Citizens of Leeuwarden, Netherlands strike against ban on foreign beer.
1567 - Mary Queen of Scots is deposed and replaced by her 1 year old son James VI.
1956 - At New York City's Copacabana Club, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis perform their last comedy show together which started on July 25, 1946.

2 Births
1897 - Amelia Earhart, American aviator (disappeared 1937)
1998 - Bindi Irwin, activist and daughter of Steve Irwin

1 Holiday
Vanuatu - Children's Day.

Maternal Mirth said...

Thanks for the tag :)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you did the meme-very cool things and the whale one is funny. Oh and your birthday is the day before mine-how cool is that-plus our kids are very close in age.

MGM said...

Jesse-that is neat that our birthdays are a day apart and our kids are so close in age. I'd place bets on you being considerably younger than me, though. Ha!

Anonymous said...

A whale exploded??? That is just cool!

Student of Life said...

Sure. I'll play. It might take me a coupla days to find the time, but I'll get to it. Good luck on the packing.

Tracy Rambles On And On said...

I remember watching the video on youtube of the whale exploding. That was so gross! I loved doing this one!

MGM said...

Tracy, I wonder if I can still see the video on YouTube? I don't even remember this event happening, though Husband says he remembers hearing it on the news.

Mrs. Flinger said...

Heh.. I'm pretty sure I haven't done the last tag. :-) I DO know Johny Carson had the same birthday as me... does that count?