Friday, May 01, 2009

Supervision Required

As many of you know, my Dear Daughter has long been known for her precocious vocabulary. I'm pretty sure she came out of the womb speaking in full, verbose paragraphs. I also think it's fair to say that while he is not quite as verbally precocious as his big sister, Dear Son doesn't deserve to live too much in her shadow.

Dear Husband recently had to work late on night. He optimistically expected to be home just in time to kiss the kids goodnight. Alas, in the world of computer geek-dom, glitches tend to happen that make the final goal take much longer than originally expected. I put the kids to bed alone that night. As I lay in the dark on Dear Son's twin mattress with the boy-child snuggled in the crook of one arm and the girl-child snuggled in the crook of the other arm, Dear Son yawned and asked if Daddy would be home soon. I've made the point strongly in the past that my Dear Son is very much a DADDY'S boy and Mommy only rates a step better than no one at all if Daddy isn't home. If Daddy is home, I can just forget about it. So, despite Dear Son's pining for his daddy, I was enjoying some second-fiddle snuggling with him. After several moments of silence, Dear Son yawned, and then pensively said, "I wish Daddy was home to supervise us."

After I clarified with my three-year-and-four-month-old child that he did indeed say "supervise" AND used the the word correctly in a sentence, I theorized that he was echoing a word I have used several times when Dear Husband is at home and I really need to get something done that the kids' are not allowing me to get done. This phrase is, "Honey, would you PULEEEZE supervise the kids so that I can get (fill in the blank) done?!"

Even if Dear Son was only echoing a word that he has heard me use, it was still precious to hear how he had retained the word as well as its meaning and demonstrated its correct usage in a sentence.

And believe me, by the end of fifteen solid hours of managing the kids all by myself, I too was wishing Daddy were home to "supervise"!

4 comments:

Lori said...

Now that is too cute! And after being home alone for 15 hours I can imagine that you were more than ready to have daddy be home to supervise! I play second fiddle to my little man too!

Zip n Tizzy said...

Z has taken to telling me that he misses me even when we're in the same room, so sometimes I wish he were a little less attatched. T was a daddies boy from day one, however, and I always really appreciated how much he adores his dad.

Sounds like your husband is a good supervisor.

CaraBee said...

That's pretty darn cute! I just love precocious kids. I always get a kick out of hearing them say some word that is way beyond what you normally expect.

Maternal Mirth said...

Dear Son kills me! Truly, I could use some help in the supervision dept at times... mostly to keep an eye on ME :o)