Monday, July 17, 2006

The Birds & the Bees at Not-Quite-Three

Dear Daughter is working on getting some of the concepts of time. She says things like, "a long time ago before you were married" and refers to "yesterday" and "last year" and "last week." All of these pertain to sometime in the past for her, but without specific understanding as to how far in the past. She struggles with the idea of "later." When told we will do something "later" she responds with a whiny, "But what about TODAY?" My response is typically something like, "Later IS today, Honey." She has trouble grasping that, though. Our discussion on issues of time the other night led to an interesting point--one that bridges the concept of time as well as the previously described issue of asking difficult questions.

We were talking about something that happened to me when I was a little girl, and Dear Daughter asked if she was there. I explained that it was before she was born. She asked what it means to be "born." I replied that it was before she was even alive. She then questioned, "How does someone get alive?" I silently wondered to myself how to explain the birds and the bees to a not-quite-three-year-old. It's a conversation I thought I would have about 8 or 10 more years to prepare for. *Sigh* Fortunately she was satisfied with a vague description of how Mommy and Daddy had to meet and fall in love before she could be born. I'm sure she will bring it up again in the future and want to discuss it further. That's life with my precocious little one.

No comments: