Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Finding Meaning in Cold Cereal, Public Television, and Jesus

After reading time with Dear Daughter tonight, I rolled onto my side in her twin bed so that I was eye to eye with her on the pillows. It had been awhile since I had a discussion with her about the Meaning of Life. It seems we used to have these discussions often in the past, as this has historically been her favorite topic for about as long as she's been talking. I guess I felt curious tonight about how that six year old mind is developing.

The first time I noticed Daughter's ability to have a completely logical and philosophical discussion was when she was barely two years old. It wasn't actually about the meaning of life, but about the commonalities between horses and cows. It wasn't long, however, before she began to take on more challenging issues in her conversations...such as the meaning of life.

Me: "So...what do you think about Life?"

Dear Daughter: "I think it's tasty, and I like to eat it!"

Me: (giggling) "NO! I mean what do you think about LIVING--THAT kind of LIFE!"

Dear Daughter: (with a sigh, as if conceding a point) "Oh alllllright. I think Public Television makes me smart."

Me: (having absolutely NO IDEA where that came from and now laughing hysterically) "Okay, so what do you think the MEANING of life is?"

Dear Daughter: (without missing a beat) "Living and loving Jesus!"

She said it as if it's the most obvious thing anyone could ever ask her...and it was a wonderful reminder that apparently I must be doing something right after all!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this! What else can I say?

Dear Husband's Mom

yunya212 said...

On the other hand, your Oakley Frogskins transitional contact lenses fhdizqe are generally tied to a lot of people. By way of example, your road users are certainly not encouraged to set in Cheap Oakley Sunglasses using transitional lens, since your eye glasses throughout front door from the vehicle steer clear of the ultraviolet sun light absolutely. As a result, your Oakley Frogskin photochromic contact lenses are unable to splashes your ultraviolet Oakley Radar sun light (your contact lenses accomplish their function employing the help of ultraviolet sun light). For that reason, your Oakley Radar Sunglasses with all the photochromic contact lenses will certainly lose their function along with are unable to create just about any change while in the auto.